Monday, March 30, 2009

Rethinking Approaches to classes

A colleague and I were discussing the classes we teach and both decided that we need to rethink how we approach the course.

Do I really need my students to write a compare and contrast essay? Is there a better approach? We were discussing introducing the final project at the very beginning and using the text to guide students to topics for the final paper.

I'm also struggling with ways to improve my Developmental English course. I keep plugging away.

B

5 comments:

  1. I think that as educators we need to ask what the value in something really is......and then fix it....I have seen instructors tell me that they like to teach online, because once they create it, the course can just run on its own.....not sure if I believe that......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    I totally agree with you! Every semester I change/add and adjust the courses I teach. An online course should not be static!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. The courses we were discussing are F2F but the need for change applies to both types of classes. I'm not totally confident in my online class so I'm not thinking of major changes, mostly minor ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it depends on the content of the class. Are your merely passing on information such as in a basic biology class or are you teaching how to use web tools in a class such as CEL580? How useful would an essay be in that class? Etta

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a writing course. It's not about the tools. MY students are working on writing paragraphs and then turning those into essays.

    B

    ReplyDelete